Friday, October 28, 2016

Evil Queen - Snow White

Evil Queen costume, based off the Disney parks face character costume. Costume consists of purple brocade dress, cord belt, glitter velvet cape, collar, and velvet cowl and fingerless gloves.  At a total of 23 yards, I think this is the most fabric I've used in one project (the dress, dress lining, sleeve lining, and gold trim ate up 15 yards of fabric, then another 6 in the cape and cape lining.)


Pidge - Voltron

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Regency spencer

Regency spencer jacket, circa 1805. Historically accurate design, made of linen with cotton lining and hook and eye closure. (Third picture is inside out.)

Sunday, July 10, 2016

...So this was maybe not the smartest fabric choice for this design. (The swimmy visual effect of checks-on-checks is not quite as bad in real life, but I still could have thought this one through better.) I cut and partially assembled this around January or February when it was horribly out of season and just pulled it out of the UFO pile finished it up a few weeks ago. My love/hate with gingham continues; this has a gathered full circle skirt and it's nice and light. Bodice is lined in cotton to make it opaque and a bit more substantial.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Voidfang Vestments - Destiny

Destiny jacket, made from linen with cotton and wool design mirrored on the outside and inside of the tails. (Whoever at Bungie decided that all clothing in this game should have graphics on both sides is not my favorite person.) This jacket is incredibly heavy; I ended up going through about twelve yards of fabric, half of which was heavyweight linen, plus all the interfacing and about 3500 meters of thread. There's a combination of stay tape, silk, and cotton underlining reinforcing the seams and corners in the interior guts.

The tails were sewn directly to a partial underlining, which both supports the weight and keeps the torso as opaque as the tails. Which leaves this funny little abbreviated bemberg lining for the upper torso and sleeves.

The embroidered trim was a plan C (turns out digitally printed fabric is not dry cleanable, and gold silk screen ink was not opaque enough to show up on this dark gold fabric) which luckily worked out, but it took literally forty hours for my embroidery machine to stitch it all out, and every single little thread had to be clipped by hand. Then after assembly the trim had to be hand traced with an invisible stitch to get to lay nice and flat since the embroidery adds a lot of texture. (I do like how it looks, but... never again.)

Tionishia - Monster Musume

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

In progress

Design portion of a Destiny robe I'm working on. (This is the project that finally made me start buying audiobooks. I do not know why I waited so long to get an Audible account.)