Evil Queen costume, based off the Disney parks face character costume. Costume consists of purple brocade dress, cord belt, glitter velvet cape, collar, and velvet cowl and fingerless gloves. At a total of 23 yards, I think this is the most fabric I've used in one project (the dress, dress lining, sleeve lining, and gold trim ate up 15 yards of fabric, then another 6 in the cape and cape lining.)
Friday, October 28, 2016
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Sunday, July 10, 2016
...So this was maybe not the smartest fabric choice for this design. (The swimmy visual effect of checks-on-checks is not quite as bad in real life, but I still could have thought this one through better.) I cut and partially assembled this around January or February when it was horribly out of season and just pulled it out of the UFO pile finished it up a few weeks ago. My love/hate with gingham continues; this has a gathered full circle skirt and it's nice and light. Bodice is lined in cotton to make it opaque and a bit more substantial.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Destiny jacket, made from linen with cotton and wool design mirrored on the outside and inside of the tails. (Whoever at Bungie decided that all clothing in this game should have graphics on both sides is not my favorite person.) This jacket is incredibly heavy; I ended up going through about twelve yards of fabric, half of which was heavyweight linen, plus all the interfacing and about 3500 meters of thread. There's a combination of stay tape, silk, and cotton underlining reinforcing the seams and corners in the interior guts.
The tails were sewn directly to a partial underlining, which both supports the weight and keeps the torso as opaque as the tails. Which leaves this funny little abbreviated bemberg lining for the upper torso and sleeves.
The embroidered trim was a plan C (turns out digitally printed fabric is not dry cleanable, and gold silk screen ink was not opaque enough to show up on this dark gold fabric) which luckily worked out, but it took literally forty hours for my embroidery machine to stitch it all out, and every single little thread had to be clipped by hand. Then after assembly the trim had to be hand traced with an invisible stitch to get to lay nice and flat since the embroidery adds a lot of texture. (I do like how it looks, but... never again.)
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Friday, April 1, 2016
Sunday, March 20, 2016
Friday, February 26, 2016
Regency era cotton day dress, made mostly to test out Laughing Moon's regency round gown pattern before I invested real money in nice materials. Verdict: good fit, historically accurate, and good quality pattern. If I come across some silk for a decent price I may remake this pattern as an evening gown.
Thursday, January 14, 2016
Commission of Solas,
The collar fabric came from the same manufacturer as the sweater fabric so it matches perfectly, but it was very (very) thick. The collar is lined in the 4x2 because self lining it would have been too bulky. I also extended the brown faux leather trim to just below the seam rather than stopping right at the seam so I could get the rivet in. I went through a number of drafts and tweaks of that collar shape and I'm happy with what I ended up with, but it took me a little while to get there. Knit is not the most cooperative fabric when it comes to trying to shape it like this. I tested out various angles of rise and height, interfacing/internal structure...
The seam around the collar and around the cuffs is accented with a hand stitch, and the brown trim is one piece, no seams. Water soluble basting tape (both to turn under the edges and to hold it in place for sewing) was indispensable for this.
that is how they're designed.
I purchased an extra long belt on etsy and stitched on the accents by hand. They're the washers from black grommets.
The shoes are made from sueded knit backed with cotton rib knit to add dimension (the suede knit is thin, and backing it made it look a little more like woven straps) and self-lined in knit. They pull on like socks and have some elastic built into the lining to help them stay up. I attached a 6 mm shoe sole so they can be worn outside or on concrete. The toeless style is not the most comfortable shoe design ever, but sanding down the front of the sole made them a little easier to walk in and stand on.